When you're working with Microsoft Excel or any spreadsheet software, you want to make sure that you are careful when trying to manage your Product CSV file. By default, the spreadsheet software will open with certain settings. The UPC column in the Product CSV will always open with the General setting, which converts large numbers (UPCs are 12 digits) to Scientific notation.
It's important to make sure that you convert the column to the number or the custom (zero) setting; otherwise, you could end up with scientific notation in the UPC. Here are some ways that you can format your CSV file in Excel to prevent this from happening
If these options do not work for you or you have a zero at the front of your SKU, then you need to convert the UPC column into a text column.
The solution is to use the Data > Text to Columns option in Excel. This will allow you to export the UPC column as a text field. Here's how to do that:
1) Select the UPC column in the Excel File:
2) Select the "Delimited" option in Excel:
3) Click the "Comma" option:
4) Choose the "Text" Data Format:
5) After, hit the finish button, and then you should be able to see your UPCs in a text format: